Popcorn Ceiling Removal - What do I need for it?
I hear it from homeowners just about everyday, its a very hot topic with our clients here at Envision … “I hate this ugly popcorn ceiling, do you think it contains asbestos?, what are my options if it does contain asbestos? how do I go about having it tested for asbestos?” My answers are typically the same in every instance and are as follows:
- Its impossible to tell simply by a visual inspection if it’s asbestos containing or not.
- The acoustical ceiling texture (popcorn) must be properly sampled and analyzed at a certified lab.
- If the material is infact asbestos you have two choices.
- 1. Leave it alone, do not disturb it and manage the material in place.
- 2. Have it removed and properly disposed of by a certified and licensed asbestos abatement general contractor utilizing proper engineering controls and asbestos trained workers.